J.D., cum laude, University of San Francisco, 1987
B.A., University of California at Santa Barbara, 1984
For more than 25 years, Margaret’s practice has focused on complex business and employment law litigation. As a skilled trial lawyer, she has tried, arbitrated, and mediated cases including professional negligence, wrongful termination, discrimination, breach of contract, fraud, protection of trade secrets, non-competition, and related business torts in state and federal courts across the United States.
From 1993-2003, Margaret served as Senior Counsel for Aon Corporation, an NYSE-listed international financial services corporation, where Margaret handled a wide array of legal and business duties, including representing the company in litigation, ensuring corporate compliance, negotiating executive compensation, managing and overseeing company investigations related to workplace issues, government inquiries, and third-party subpoenas; counseling and training business partners in proactive risk management as well as participating in strategic recommendations and actionable business solutions.
Margaret also represents employers before administrative agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, and the California Department of Labor. She also advises employers in a wide variety of personnel issues including employee discipline and terminations, personnel policies, reductions in force, compliance issues, as well as day-to-day personnel matters. Margaret also represents employers and management in workplace investigations. Both in her capacity as in-house counsel and in private practice, Margaret has conducted hundreds of investigations, including investigations of high-ranking senior management officials relating to complaints of discrimination, harassment, disparate treatment, fraud, and various other employment/personnel issues.
Prior to joining Sacks, Ricketts & Case, Margaret was a partner at DLA Piper LLP (US), the largest global law firm in the world, where she was a member of the firm’s commercial litigation department and head of its San Francisco diversity committee.
- Represented major airline in race discrimination case in Los Angeles Superior Court resulting in a complete defense verdict after a three-week jury trial.
- Represented insurance broker in professional negligence case in U.S. District Court resulting in a complete defense verdict after a four-week jury trial.
- Represented insurance broker in a $20 million corporate raiding case. Obtained two Temporary Restraining Orders in Illinois and New York state courts and a preliminary injunction after a two-day court trial in New York Supreme Court.
- Represented employer in class and multi-party litigation alleging misclassification, off-the-clock work, and other wage and hour violations.
- Represented insurance company in class action alleging gender discrimination in selection and promotion practices.
- Represented claims adjuster in consumer class action alleging violations of California Business & Professions Code Section 17200.
- Represented underwriting agency in E&O case arising out of theft of paintings by Claude Monet and Pablo Picasso.
- Represented insurance broker in internal investigation of contingent commissions and profit-sharing arrangements.
- Represented employer in wrongful termination case from trial to Supreme Court in what one commentator called the most important employment opinion “in a generation” (Cotran v. Rollins Hudig Hall).
- Represented defendant in multi-million dollar unfair business practices case alleging failure to disclose fees.
- Obtained summary judgment for employers in numerous wrongful termination/discrimination lawsuits.
- Prosecuted/defended hundreds of unfair competition cases involving large scale raiding, disclosure of trade secrets, and breach of non-compete agreements.
- Conducted hundreds of workplace investigations into complaints of discrimination, harassment, disparate treatment, and multiple personnel issues.
- Labor and Litigation Sections of the American Bar Association
- Litigation and Employment Sections of the San Francisco Bar Association