J.D., University of Virginia School of Law 2007
- First Place, Lile Moot Court Competition
- Kingdon Prize
- Shoemaker Prize
B.A., cum laude, Duke University 2002
Mike Scott is Of Counsel at Sacks, Ricketts & Case LLP. Mike focuses his practice on class action defense, with particular emphasis on antitrust, unfair competition, breach of contract, and consumer claims in a wide range of industries. Mike has been involved in more than 25 class or representative actions in California state and federal courts, including successful efforts to decertify existing classes. Mike also has achieved favorable results through alternative dispute resolution and regularly provides litigation and class action avoidance counseling.
Prior to joining Sacks, Ricketts & Case LLP, Mike worked as an associate for DLA Piper LLP (US) and Jones Day.
- Representation of consumer electronics company in multiple nationwide consumer class actions involving allegations of breach of warranty, unfair competition, fraud, and others.
- Representation of consumer electronics company in nationwide antitrust class actions on behalf of direct and indirect purchasers. Secured decertification of purchaser class and summary judgment for client.
- Representation of national franchisor in settlement of multiple consumer class actions alleging unlawful business practices, breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing, and unjust enrichment.
- Representation of national franchisor in the settlement of multiple California wage and hour class actions.
- In re Sony PS3 Other OS Litig., 551 F. App’x 916 (9th Cir. 2014) (affirming, in part, motion to dismiss).
- Fineman v. Sony Network Entertainment International LLC, No. C 11-05680 SI, 2012 WL 424563 (N.D. Cal. Feb. 9, 2012) (granting motion to dismiss).
- Co-author, “In re Hydrogen Peroxide Antitrust Litigation: A Forecast of the Future of Class Certification in the Ninth Circuit,” Competition, Volume 18, No. 2 (Fall 2009)
- Presenter, “Copyright, Fair Use and Contemporary Art,” San Francisco Art Institute, April 2012 and February 2013
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- State of California
- State Bar of California
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- American Bar Association