Nathan J. Kunz
J.D., University of Denver – Sturm College of Law 2006
B.S., Applied Physics, Cornell University 2002
Nathan J. Kunz is a partner in the Phoenix office of Sacks, Ricketts & Case LLP. Nathan concentrates his practice on complex contract and consumer-related commercial litigation and class action defense. In his over 10 years of practice, Nathan has participated in trial teams in simple and complex commercial litigation matters and has succeeded on numerous motions to dismiss, motions for summary judgment, and motions for preliminary injunction.
Nathan has served as counsel in complex litigation matters involving breach of contract, restrictive covenants, trade secrets, trademark infringement, defamation, commercial lease enforcement, and business divorces as well as myriad other topics. Nathan’s significant litigation and trial experience enables him to counsel clients about the merits, risks, and cost-benefit analysis of litigation. Above all, Nathan works to understand his clients’ objectives and to devise the best strategy for them.
Prior to joining Sacks, Ricketts & Case LLP, Nathan was a shareholder with Polsinelli PC in its Phoenix, Arizona, office.
- Achieved a highly favorable settlement through aggressive motion practice and discovery in multimillion dollar limited liability company member dispute.
- Defended client against suit for trademark infringement resulting in a favorable settlement for client.
- Secured dismissal with prejudice for client sued for allegedly violating securities laws.
- Obtained a highly favorable settlement for client in its suit for patent infringement.
- Won summary judgment and appeal to defeat legal malpractice and fraud claims against a large, national law firm for which plaintiffs sought more than $5 million in damages.
- As trial team member, won a highly favorable jury defense verdict for a Fortune 500 client after a three-week trial on claims for breach of contract and breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing.
- Author, Survey: Recent Aviation Cases Post-Bauman, published at American Bar Association Section of Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Conference, Nov. 3-4, 2016.
- Author, Choice of Law and the Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing, For the Defense (DRI publication), Feb. 2013.
- Author, Twombly in the Patent Infringement Context: An Update, published at American Bar Association Section of Business Law Conference, Apr. 2008.
- Author, Global Impact on Arizona Soil: Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Judgments in Arizona, Arizona Attorney, Feb. 2007.
- Arizona Benefit Corporations: Nuts and Bolts (the Act, Formation, Documentation), panel presentation at 2015 Arizona State Bar Convention, June 24, 2015.
- Compartmentalizing Liability: Reducing risk of Veil-Piercing, Successor Liability, and Similar Outcomes, presentation to Business Law Institute, June 23, 2015.
- Arbitration Provisions – Where are We After Oxford Health Plans v. Sutter?, presentation to Association of Corporate Counsel, Arizona Chapter, Dec. 17, 2013.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Arizona
- State of Arizona
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Arizona
- Maricopa County Bar Association
- Maricopa County Bar Association Litigation Section Board Member
- Horace Rumpole Inn of Court, Member
- Rising Star, Business Litigation, Southwest Super Lawyers (2012-2017)